The global “ophthalmic surgical devices” market size is anticipated to reach USD 12.75 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 4.8% during the forecast period. Rising prevalence of cataract is one of the key factors fueling this market. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines cataract as “clouding of the lens of the eye which impedes the passage of light”. The WHO estimates that currently there are approximately 18 million around the world that are blind in both eyes due either to improper surgery or inaccessibility to advanced procedures. While this eye condition mostly occurs as a person ages, the WHO claims that other risk factors such as diabetes, exposure to UV light, and smoking are fast emerging as major grounds for cataract. Moreover, the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) states that blindness from cataract is around 5% in developed countries and 50% in developing and underdeveloped nations. Increasing demand for ocular treatments from emerging economies is, therefore, expected to lead the ophthalmic surgical devices market trends in the upcoming decade.
For more information in the analysis of this report, visit: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/02/04/1979288/0/en/Ophthalmic-Surgical-Devices-Market-to-Hit-12-75-Bn-by-2026-Increasing-Popularity-of-LASIK-Surgical-Procedure-to-Boost-Market-Growth-Fortune-Business-Insights.html
- August 2019: New World Medical, a renowned company in ophthalmological devices, launched its brand new glaucoma drainage tool, Ahmed ClearPath, in the US. The device consists of a flexible plate designed to align with the curvature of the eye and anteriorly placed suture fixation points for efficient drainage.
- July 2019: The Irish pharmaceutical giant, Allergan, announced that its New Drug Application for the company’s Bimatoprost Sustained-Release has been accepted by the US FDA. If successful, the product would be the first-of-its-kind biodegradable implant for treating patients with glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Major Companies Profiled in the Ophthalmic Surgical Devices Market Report:
- Oertli Instrumente AG
- Hoya Corporation
- Bausch & Lomb Incorporated
- Johnson and Johnson Services, Inc.
- New World Medical, Inc.
- STAAR SURGICAL
- ZEISS International
- Alcon (Part of Novartis AG)
By Surgery Type
- Cataract Surgery Devices
o Phacoemulsification Systems
o Femtosecond Laser
o Intraocular Lenses
o Ophthalmic Viscoelastic Devices & Other Consumables
- Vitreoretinal Surgery Devices
- Refractive Error Surgery
- Glaucoma Surgery
- Ophthalmic Clinics
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Scandinavia, and Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (Japan, China, India, Australia, Southeast Asia, and Rest of Asia- Pacific)
- Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa (South Africa, GCC and Rest of the Middle East & Africa)
More Trending Topics From Fortune Business [email protected]